Ηow to save a life by becoming
a volunteer bone marrow donor
• You can become a volunteer bone marrow donor in the global registry using a simple cheek swab test
• The donor is notified if a match is found
The match depends on the bone marrow tissue type (primarily Human Leukocyte Antigen-HLA)
The odds of matching with a patient increase if the donor and the patient are from same family, country, or race
• Donor takes additional test and info sessions
• There are two ways to donate:
– Peripheral blood stem cell donation (PBSC): involving 5 self-administered injections for 5 days and the extraction of blood-forming cells from the bloodstream, a process similar to blood donation (80% of the times)
– Bone marrow aspiration: a needle is used to withdraw a sample of the fluid portion, under anesthesia (20% of the times, usually when the patient is a baby)
• Overall, the time of the donor needed: 20-30 hours over 4-6 weeks
Please complete this online form to register your interest to become a volunteer bone marrow donor.
Xarise Zoi will then send you a pack, including an informational sheet with details on the bone marrow donation process, a registration form to become a volunteer donor, and the kit to collect the saliva sample with instructions on how to do so.
Then, you can send the form along with the sample back to Xarise Zoi.
For information for different countries please contact us